Welcome back handmade expert, Brittni Mehlhoff!
Believe it or not, on average, we spend roughly one-third of our lives sleeping. One-third! That’s a heck of a lot of time. So, it makes sense to invest in quality, cozy (and beautiful) bedding and accessories if you’re going to be spending all that time in one spot. Right?
My suggestion? Look for organic cottons and the use of up-cycled materials when searching for sheets, duvets and pillows. Then, you can rest easy knowing that you are helping to keep our environment safe while cozying up under the covers at night. Organic cotton is extremely soft and is grown without the use of pesticides, so since we're trying to eat organically, how about a good sleep too? And products that utilize up-cycled materials give new life to items that were once discarded - just like regular recycling - saving the world's resources.
So, here are my top picks for eco-friendly bedding and accessories.
1. Unison Tatami Bedding in Organic Ivory from Nest Living - Made of 100% organic cotton, the super soft bedding in this collection from Unison will help you get the much needed rest you deserve. And the clean, modern lines will match virtually any home’s décor.
2. Organic Star Pillow from Chakra Pennywhistle – A few decorative pillows are always welcome in the bedroom. Especially when they are made of organic cotton thread and recycled canvas fabric.
3. Dayglo and Linen Throw Quilt from Carrie Strine - Custom made by hand with organic cotton batting and natural linen, each quilt from Carrie Strine is like a work of art that will keep you warm through those cold winter evenings.
4. Organic Ikat –Stripe Sheet Set from West Elm – This organic sheet set from West Elm is one of the most affordable options out there and has a great, classic pattern to boot. Stylish and money-savvy. What’s not to like?
5. Organic Buckwheat Hull Mattress Topper from Open Your Eyes Bedding – Buckwheat is a fast-growing, renewable resource, which makes this mattress topper a great choice environmentally. And on top of that, it also acts as a natural support for the body, so it's super comfortable to sleep on.
6. Area One Way Organic Grey Bedding from Design Public - For a more masculine approach when it comes to bedding, try these sheets from Design Public.
7. Allergy Relief Bedding from Gaiam – Protect your mattress and duvet from dust mites and other bedroom allergens with the allergy relief collection of bedding from Gaiam. Made from 100% organic jersey cotton, you’ll feel like your sleeping on your favorite worn-in t-shirt. It’s that soft.
Want more? OA has 10 Steps to An Organic Bedroom packed with useful info on creating a safe sleeping environment.
About the Author: Brittni Mehlhoff is the founder of a curated exhibition site dedicated to promoting art and handmade goods. And she is also the editor of a handmade blog by the same name. When not working on papernstitch, she is dreaming up fun little tutorials and crafting projects for her home.