This flavorful and fruit-filled apple and pear crisp is a sweet treat to enjoy all winter long.
Bonus: because the ingredients are so healthy, this crisp could even double as a healthy breakfast or brunch option.
Apple and Pear Crisp Ingredients
The beauty of a crisp is the minimal amount of ingredients and prep time required. Just throw together a simple crumble topping made with oats, coconut oil, and nuts, and chop up fruit for the filling. Dessert (or breakfast) is ready in no time.
This crisp is made with firm flavorful pears and crisp apples. Firm pears, such as Bosc, D’Anjou, and French butter pears, hold their shape when baked and are delicious options for this crisp. Other pears, like Bartlett, turn to mush once cooked – which is delicious in pear butter, not in this pear crisp.
Crisp, flavorful apples add texture and a bright flavor to this crisp. I like using Fuji, Honey Crisp, and Cameo, or sometimes a combination of all three. These apple varieties are sweet, crunchy, and bake perfectly.
Choose both organic apples and pears at the grocery market, if possible. Apples and pears are both on the Environmental Working Group’s (EWG) Dirty Dozen list of pesticide residue containing fruits and vegetables. Luckily, both organic apples and pears can still be found seasonally and are inexpensive fruits to stock up on right now.
The top of this apple and pear crisp is made with a blend of rolled oats, pecans, coconut oil, cinnamon, and maple syrup. Coconut oil binds the oat mixture together and gives the crisp a perfectly crunchy texture once cooked.
Plenty of warming spices, flavorful fruit, and a nutty topping make this apple and pear crisp the most perfect seasonal treat.
Apple and Pear Crisp
- 4 firm pears
- 2 crisp apples, such as Honey Crisp or Fuji
- ½ Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. liquid coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a medium sized baking dish with coconut oil.
- To a food processor add pecans, oats, cinnamon, coconut oil, and maple syrup. Pulse on and off until mixture is slightly broken down, but still has texture.
- Cut pears and apples into medium chunks and add to a large bowl. Sprinkle with cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, sea salt, and coconut sugar. Use your hands to evenly mix everything together. Pour fruit into baking dish and sprinkle with crumble topping.
- Bake crisp for 35-40 minutes, or until crisp is golden brown and fruit is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Dish out crisp and top with coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!
Related On Organic Authority
Vegan Baked Pears with Crisp Oat Filling and Coco Whipped Topping
Vegan and Gluten-Free Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp Recipe: Sweeten Up Your Spring!
Cobblers, Crisps, Crumbles: Which Is Which?
Photos by Kate Gavlick