Borscht is a traditional Ukrainian soup dish that has a beet base and can be served either hot or cold. It’s a delicious and colorful light lunch or snack that will infuse you with the detoxifying properties inherent in beets and cabbage. Instead of using an animal-based broth, this recipe using a vegetable broth and nixes the oils in order to highlight the flavor of the vegetables and other ingredients. Enjoy!
What I love most about this recipe is its color. So even if you aren’t the kind of person who craves soup, just one look at this one and you’ll feel like you are part of not only a culinary experience but also an artistic one!
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 4 large beets, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Crème fraîche (or sour cream) for garnish
- Fresh dill for garnish
Image Credit: Borscht