This fresh-tasting relish goes well with grilled flatbread, chicken, fish or pork. All of the ingredients should be available at your local natural and organic food store.
Adapted from a recipe inThe BBQ Queens’ Big Book of Barbecue by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig
Grilled Flatbread With Olive, Orange and Fennel Relish
Makes 4 servings
4 pita or small flatbreads
1 tablespoon canola oil for brushing
4 small oranges, peeled and sectioned
1 fennel bulb, trimmed, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup black ripe sliced olives
1/2 cup Spanish olives stuffed with pimiento
1 tablespoon canola oil
Fine kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Prepare medium-hot fire in your grill. Brush flatbreads, on both sides, with 1 tablespoon canola oil.
- In bowl, combine orange sections, fennel, onion, olives and remaining canola oil to make the relish. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired, and stir to blend.
- Grill flatbreads 1 to 2 minutes per side, turning once, or until good grill marks form.
- Add a dollop of Spanish Olive Drizzle to enhance the flavors of the relish.
- Top flatbreads with relish.
Recipe and photo courtesy of CanolaInfo and Lindsay Olives