We’ve been focusing on heart-healthy organic eating this week, so here’s an easy-to-prepare recipe to accompany your favorite entree. Sweet potatoes and bananas combine to make this flavorful low-fat custard.
1 cup sweet potato, cooked and mashed
1/2 cup banana (about 2 small), mashed
1 cup nonfat milk
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 egg yolks (or 1/3 cup egg substitute), beaten
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Nonstick cooking spray, as needed
- In a medium bowl, stir together sweet potato and banana. Add milk, blending well.
- Add brown sugar, egg yolks and salt, mixing thoroughly.
- Spray a 1-quart casserole with nonstick cooking spray. Transfer sweet potato mixture to casserole dish.
- Combine raisins, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top of sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in preheated 325ºF oven for 40–45 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.