Learn to love your crockpot with these easy, satisfying and downright tasty vegan slow cooker recipes.
It seems like the slow cooker used to be the ugly stepchild of kitchen appliances, or at least one that wasn’t proudly displayed like the treasured Kitchen-Aid mixer or Vitamix. But the slow cooker is coming out of the shadows as more people committed to eating whole, unprocessed foods realize that a slow cooker makes it possible to enjoy a home-cooked wholesome meal--even after working all day away from the home. And gone are the days when using a slow cooker meant only meat-centric dishes. Today, the slow cooker is a necessary tool in the vegan kitchen too and there some truly amazing vegan slow cooker recipes out there.
Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes
- Classic Split Pea Chowder - Classic split pea chowder is a hearty meal that is super satisfying on a cool evening. I usually throw in a couple of potatoes to give it a bit texture.
- Red Lentil and Yellow Split Pea Dal - Dal is an everyday comfort food dish that is served throughout India. While it may seem like this recipe calls for a lot of ingredients, they are mostly spices and totally worth it.
- Chana Masala - Chana Masala is a rich stew made from chickpeas and tomatoes. This slow cooker version is pretty much dump and go. (And for more Indian-inspired vegan slow cooker recipes to sweet treats, and everything in between, here are some vegan slow cooker recipes to add to your repertoire.)
- Applesauce - There’s nothing much better than coming home to the smell of homemade crockpot applesauce.
- Butternut Squash and Coconut Soup - This dreamy version of butternut squash soup calls for coconut milk for creaminess.
- Chard and Lentil Soup - Lentil soup is a tasty way to pack in a lot of protein. This version also calls for Swiss chard and potatoes for real comfort food version. The tamari sauce also adds some umami flavor as well.
- Morning Oatmeal - Have breakfast waiting in the morning with slow cooker oatmeal. Make a big batch of it plain and then add mixins in the morning. Raisins, coconut, walnuts, and maple syrup are all great additions to plain oatmeal.
- Black Bean Soup - The flavor of black bean soup only intensifies when you cook it in a slow cooker. This recipe calls for the addition of vegan Worcestershire sauce to add another layer of flavor.
- Ratatouille - Traditionally the food of the French peasants, this crockpot Ratatouille will make you feel like royalty it’s so rich.
- Chili with Sweet Potatoes - Sweet potatoes help balance the spiciness and acidity of regular chili. Just forgo the sour cream garnish.
- Thai Curried Vegetables with Raisins - Thai curry is delicious on its own, adding raisins makes it sublime. Consider adding some chopped cashews as a garnish as well.
- Rice Pudding - The slow cooker isn’t only for main dishes. Consider this dish for a vegan sweet treat. Choose between soy, almond, or coconut milk.
- Tofu and Chickpea Curry - Adding tofu to your slow cooker meals does require an extra step of cooking the tofu and adding it at the end, but it’s worth it.
- Soy Yogurt - Stop buying soy yogurt and make your own instead--in the crockpot.
- Tomato Soup - A favorite among vegan slow cooker recipes is the crowd pleasing tomato soup. This recipe calls for almond milk to add some sinful creaminess.
From the Organic Authority Files
Related on Organic Authority
Image: Vegetable Soup via Shutterstock