Blending flavors is the slow cooker’s specialty, and these slow cooker black beans Brazilian style is the perfect match for the hands-off cooking appliance.
Melding rich, savory pork meat with bright citrus juice the spunky spice of chorizo, this recipe is a pure symphony of flavors in your slow cooker. Black beans and kale upgrade the stew’s nutritional profile, and brown rice fills out the meal.
If you don’t have kale on hand, feel free to use any other dark leafy greens – such as collard greens, Swiss chard, or spinach. Don’t forget to drain and rinse your black beans well. If you want to stretch out the soup, you can always add more beans.
Perfect for a chilly night after a long day of work, this easy recipe only requires 15 minutes of prep. You’ll love sitting down to a hearty, delicious meal of stew – and if you have leftovers, it freezes like a dream for future dinners.
Slow Cooker Black Beans Brazilian Style
Makes 10 servings
- 2 1/2 pounds pork spare ribs
- 4 ounces cured chorizo, casing removed and diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound kale (or other dark, leafy green), stems removed and chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 26 ounces cooked black beans
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 large orange, peeled and segmented (for garnish)
- Peel and mince your garlic, peel and dice your onions, and remove the stems from the kale and chop roughly. Removed the casing from the chorizo, and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Put the pork ribs, chorizo, garlic, and onion in your slow cooker, and top with the chopped kale. Press everything down firmly with your hands.
- Whisk together the chicken stock, orange juice, salt, and pepper. Add this mixture to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for five hours, or until the meat is falling off the bones. You can extend the time by two to three hours if you set your slow cooker on low instead of high.
- Remove the pork ribs from the slow cooker mixture. On a cutting board, shred the meat. Discard the bones in the trash. Add the rib meat back to the slow cooker. Black beans and vinegar go in next. Stir gently until everything is well combined.
- To make each serving, place 1/2 cup rice in each soup bowl before ladling the stew on top.
- Garnish each bowl with a couple of orange segments, and serve with bread or crackers. This stew also goes well with an ice-cold beer, or a glass of Brazilian lemonade.
Related on Organic Authority
Black bean stew image via Shutterstock