Enjoy this easy Brussels sprouts salad with lemon and dill dressing in less than ten minutes. Finely chopped raw Brussels sprouts are coated in an earthy dill dressing and toasted pine nuts add a satisfying crunch. In the dead of winter, this salad feels like a fresh burst of summer. You’ll often find raw Brussels sprouts salads on the menu in Italian restaurants with heaps of creamy dressings and Parmesan cheese. It seems that chefs are attempting to mask the raw sprouts when in fact the delectable crunch of raw Brussels sprout leaves is completely lost.
This recipe highlights that fresh green flavor and compliments it with an herbaceous dill dressing. And the best part? This salad can be made in ten minutes from start to finish.
It’s truly rare to find recipes that can be made in a hurry. Cooking shows boast “30 Minute Meals” or “Dinner for four in forty minutes,” but there’s often hidden cooking time or time-intensive prep work that isn’t counted. Cooking can and should be relaxing and fun, but sometimes you just might want some food on the table with minimal effort. Chop the sprouts quickly, toast the pine nuts, blend dressing and you're done. Two portions of this salad make a light lunch or serve it alongside a piece of fresh grilled fish for dinner.
- 2 cups Brussels Sprouts about 20 small or 15 large
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- freshly ground black pepper
- Chop the sprouts into very thin ribbons holding the stem in your hand and chopping from the green top down. Discard the white cores and stems and add the ribbons to a large bowl. Chop the red onion and add to the bowl.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a small pan and toast the pine nuts for two minutes over high heat so they just start to burn. Add to the bowl.
- In a food processor or blender add 3 tablespoons olive oil, chopped dill, lemon juice and salt and blend completely. Toss the Brussels sprout leaves with the dressing, add fresh black pepper and serve.