This spelt bread recipe makes for dense bread that works well in sandwiches, lathered with coconut butter, or eaten straight. It calls for some atypical ingredients that you’ll have to hunt down from your local health food joint, but the trek is well worth it!
Spelt flour is a great alternative to regular white flour. It has a deeper, denser taste and is chockfull of nutrition. It provides 100% of the RDA of manganese, 30% of dietary fiber, and 21% of protein in just one cup.
While the recipe is written down as vegan, I note where you can make adjustments to include eggs and butter, resulting in heartier bread.
The following spelt bread recipe is testament to just how dense, comforting, and delicious bread can be when it goes healthier, opting for ingredients that are less reactive and more wholesome.
Spelt is a grain that is high in vitamin B2, niacin, manganese, thiamin, copper, and magnesium. It is highly water soluble making its nutrients easily absorbed by the body. While it is a grain and contains gluten, it has low, fragile gluten that makes it better than regular white flour for those who are sensitive. However, it should still be consumed with caution, as it is a strain of wheat and its gluten can flare up the symptoms of those who deal with more serious digestive issues, such as and IBS or celiac disease.
How to Make Spelt Bread
Makes 1 loaf
For the yeast:
- 1 packet yeast
- 1 1/2 cup water
From the Organic Authority Files
For the dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 cups sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the wet ingredients:
- 3 flax eggs (non-vegan: 3 eggs)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (non-vegan: ¼ cup melted butter)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- In a small bowl whisk together 1 packet of yeast with 1 1/2 cup lukewarm water. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the flax eggs and coconut oil. Add the apple cider vinegar and honey to the melted butter and add the entire mixture to the dry ingredients along with the water and yeast.
- Fold until smooth and place in a greased bread tin.
- Cover with a moist towel and set in a warm place for 1 hour to rise. After 45 minutes, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, place into the oven for 55-60 minutes. Remove, let sit to cool, and eat warm or at room temperature.
Related on Organic Authority
Bread Image from Shutterstock