Return home from your next vacation refreshed and reinvigorated when you visit a healthy living hotspot. From the famous Blue Zones, where people tend to live longer and healthier lives, to lesser-known spiritual retreats, find the destination that appeals to you the most – and make plans today for your next adventure.
- Costa Rica – With gorgeous beaches on both the Caribbean Sea and Pacific Ocean, Costa Rica is a quick and easy getaway from the U.S. Celebrated as one of the planet’s Blue Zones, this Central American country is also known for active adventures like whitewater rafting, farm-fresh food, and epic wildlife including monkeys, sloths and iguanas.
- Sedona, Arizona – Amidst the cool blue skies and warm red rocks of Sedona, you’ll find an intriguing blend of desert spirituality, an artistic counterculture, and endless outdoor activities. The area’s surreal landscape is an ideal place to find your balance – or to find a good acupuncturist, Reiki master, or life coach.
- Thailand – The Thai people embrace the concept of “sanuk,” or finding the pleasure and enjoyment in everything you do. You won’t have any trouble enjoying yourself in this Southeast Asian country, a beach-lover’s paradise where massages are a daily treat. Savor cuisine made with tropical fruits and fresh seafood, or seek out an ashram for a meditation getaway.
- Greek Islands – Dappled across the turquoise Aegean Sea, the Greek Islands are an attractive playground of white rock-topped cliffs, sun-sprinkled beaches, and easygoing local cafes. The Mediterranean diet is known for its health benefits, and one island, Icaria, has been singled out as one of the Blue Zones.
- Bali, Indonesia – Many Balinese believe that the gods are always watching, and they move with a sense of elegance and grace. The island’s beauty will quickly soak through into your soul as well – and the fresh, healthy cuisine will fuel your adventures climbing volcanoes, trekking through jungles, and snorkeling off bliss-blue beaches.
From the Organic Authority Files
- Vietnam – Boasting incredible cuisine and inexpensive spas, Vietnam is a diverse destination to explore. Join in a morning Tai Chi session in Hanoi, hop in a kayak at Ha Long Bay, or sign up for a trekking expedition amongst the hill tribes in Sapa.
- Boulder, Colorado – Eat an organic veggie omelet for breakfast, go for a hike in the Rocky Mountain foothills, practice meditation at a Buddhist center, and participate in a community bike ride – all in the same day. Along with spectacular natural surroundings, Boulder is perhaps the healthiest city in America.
- Sardinia, Italy – Popular with hikers and history buffs alike, this quintessential Mediterranean island is ringed by unbelievable beaches and a rugged coastline. Also featuring a mountainous interior, this “Blue Zones” hotspot is an appealing destination for climbing, camping, boating, and windsurfing.
- India – An immersive trip to India is not for the faint of heart – but for such intrepid adventurers, the rewards can be life-changing. Yoga originated in India more than 2,600 years ago, and travelers have long made pilgrimages the country’s spiritual retreats.
- New Zealand – Head to the bottom of the planet and immerse yourself in the Kiwi’s outdoor lifestyle. You’re never more than 90 minutes from the coast in this country, which features an abundance of fresh seafood and organic produce. Indulge in a wide array of activities, including trekking, sea kayaking, hiking, and bungee jumping.
Related on Organic Authority
Costa Rica image via Shutterstock