This vegan cashew cream is an essential with seemingly endless uses. With a smooth texture and creamy consistency, you won’t believe it’s dairy-free!
Cashews prove useful in a variety of vegan recipes. From an easy cheesecake to gourmet cheese, cashews can help veganize an array of dishes. This cashew cream recipe can be used on pasta, pizza, vegetables, and more.
Get creative with the cashew cream and you’ll find it makes nearly every dish tastier. Don’t forget to try one of the fun flavor variations after the recipe.
Besides their high protein content, cashews are also great sources of copper, phosphorus, manganese, magnesium, zinc, and iron. Cashews have been positively associated with heart benefits. According to a study by the British Journal of Nutrition, cashews contain significant antioxidant levels which have been suggested to reduce the risk of cardiovascular and coronary heart disease.
The key to a silky smooth cashew cream is soaking your cashews. By soaking cashews, they are softened and more easily blended. Soaking cashews also releases enzymes which help the body to digest them more easily.
Ideally, cashews will have been soaked overnight before blending. But soaking them for at least six hours should soften them enough. If you don’t have time to soak them, then you can boil them for ten minutes as a “quick soak.”
If you’re using a high-speed blender such as a Vitamix or Blendtec, you can skip soaking altogether. But you will be missing out on the aforementioned benefits of soaking. You also may need to scrape down the sides throughout the blending process.
How To Make Cashew Cream
- ¾ cup cashews, soaked and drained
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Add cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, and sea salt to a high-speed blender. Blend for 60 to 90 seconds, or until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides about halfway through to ensure a smooth consistency.
- Store cashew cream in an airtight container for up to five days in the refrigerator.
Once you’ve mastered basic cashew cream, try one of these variations:
- Garlic Cashew Cream: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add one diced yellow onion and sauté until softened. Then, add four minced garlic cloves and sauté for one minute. Add sautéed onions and garlic to the blender and follow the recipe as directed. Serve over bow tie noodles for a tasty pasta dish.
- Pink Sauce: Heat olive oil in a pan over medium-low heat. Add one diced yellow onion and sauté until softened. Add two minced garlic cloves and sauté for one more minute. Then add one cup diced tomatoes and raise heat to medium. Sauté for five minutes and then add to the blender and follow the recipe as directed. Serve over pasta for a delicious Italian meal.
- Sour Cream: Cut back non-dairy milk by ¼ cup. Then add an extra lemon juiced to the blender. Proceed with recipe. Serve over nachos, tacos, enchiladas or chili!
Images via Karissa Bowers