My dog-niece Charlie, now 4 months old, enjoyed several baths over the summer.
There have been only a few days of that familiar “stinky dog smell.” Luckily, Charlie enjoys a good shampoo and fluff, so there’s no battle in getting her into the sink or tub.
Many dog shampoos contain toxic chemicals, so it’s important to purchase green products.
Kimberly Delaney, author of Knack Clean Home, Green Home: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Eco-Friendly Homekeeping, offers these recommendations:
- Shampoo products should be made from plant-derived ingredients, with nontoxic preservatives.
- If the product is scented, make sure natural oils are used.
- Product labels should list all ingredients.
- Shampoos should be 100% biodegradable.
- Whenever possible, select a product with recyclable packaging.
If your dog has any acute or chronic skin conditions, consult with your veterinarian before selecting bath products.
5 Natural and Organic Dog Shampoos