This dark chocolate peppermint bark is the perfect last-minute holiday treat to whip up. You'll only need four ingredients and 30 minutes to make this delightfully vegan and gluten-free dessert!
Peppermint bark is a classic holiday treat that can't be skipped. But most people just purchase it in a tin without much thought to the ingredients it contains. This homemade version is much healthier and tastier than the store-bought stuff, so skip the tin!
The key to making vegan peppermint bark is coconut oil. Coconut oil helps the chocolate set and harden into a crunchy slab. It’s also full of health benefits such as its anti-inflammatory properties, healthy fats, and weight loss support.
Of course, peppermint bark is not complete without a sprinkle of crushed candy canes. Try Yum Earth's Mini Candy Canes which are free of corn syrup, artificial colors, and flavors. Instead, they are made with organic cane sugar, organic brown rice syrup, natural peppermint, and organic fruit juice and vegetable color. They are much cleaner than conventional candy canes but taste just as great!
There are a couple of ways to go about crushing candy canes. The first option is to place them in a sealed bag and then roll over them with a rolling pin. The second option is to break them by hand and then chop them with a knife. You can then whack them with the side of a wide knife to get a more jagged look. I opted for the second option since I think it’s less messy and easier.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 13.5 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3-4 organic candy canes crushed
- Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper, leaving enough to hang over the edges. Crush candy canes either with a rolling pin or chop by hand with a knife. Set aside.
- Add chocolate, coconut oil, and sea salt to a double boiler. Stirring constantly, melt over medium heat until chocolate is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Pour melted chocolate into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Place in the freezer to set for 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and transfer to a cutting board. Cut or break the bark into squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.