Photo (c) 2009 by Jerry Errico
In this remarkably multifaceted martini, a few teensy slivers of jalapeo transform what would be a tasty but ho-hum strawberry margarita into a modern classic. And while you're sipping, try this trick: Concentrate on the taste of each individual ingredient, and you will be able to transport the jalapeno from the merest suggestion of heat to center stage.
- 2 organic strawberries, hulled
- 4 slivers peeled and seeded organic jalapeno chile
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
- 1 1/2 ounces organic reposado tequila
- 1/2 ounce organic agave nectar
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the strawberries, 3 of the jalapeno slivers, and the lemon juice until well mashed. Add the tequila and agave nectar, and fill the shaker with ice cubes. Shake vigorously, then strain the mixture into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with the remaining jalapeno sliver.
From Organic, Shaken and Stirred, by Paul Abercrombie. (c) 2009, used by permission from The Harvard Common Press.