The key to a delicious homemade bread recipe is the refrigerator. Yes, you heard me right. You can have fresh bread anytime you crave it just by mixing the dough ahead of time and placing it in the refrigerator. Use unbleached, all purpose flour because it has the proper protein content. By learning some basic techniques you can have homemade bread anytime you crave it.
5 Minute Homemade Bread Recipe
3 cups water, lukewarm
1 1/2 tbsp. granulated yeast (2 packets)
1 1/2 tbsp. kosher or coarse salt
6 1/2 cups unbleached or all-purpose flour
2-3 tbsp. corn meal (for the parchment paper)
2-3 tbsp. additional flour (to shape the dough)
1. Heat the water until it is lukewarm. Add yeast and salt and whisk together. Don’t worry if it doesn’t fully absorb into the water.
2. Mix in the flour gradually with a wooden spoon. It will take a few minutes until the flour is mixed in uniformly.
3. Let rise for 2-5 hours. At this point you can store the dough in the refrigerator.
4. When you want fresh bread, cut off a grapefruit-sized piece of dough and shape until it’s uniform. Again, there’s no kneading required.
From the Organic Authority Files
5. Let the dough rise on a pizza stone for 40 minutes.
6. Bake in an oven preheated to 450 degrees F on the pizza stone for 30 minutes.
7. Every time you need fresh bread, cut off a little more dough and go through the same procedure. Enjoy any day of the week. Yum!
Recipe adapted from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.
Related on Organic Authority
Image: Martin Monroe