This paleo-friendly apple and chicken curry is packed with warming spices, sweet apples, and tender chicken in every bite. It makes a great dish on its own, or can be served alongside cauliflower rice.
Apple and Chicken Curry Ingredients
Here’s how to make curry in a hurry. Simply make a basic spice mixture of salt, pepper, curry powder, and cumin, sprinkle on chicken, and sauté chicken in ghee until browned.
Using ghee is a great choice for sautéing the chicken. Not only is ghee the perfect cooking medium for high-heat, it’s also paleo-friendly.
Ghee, or clarified butter, is butter that’s been simmered long enough to remove milk sugars and solids. The result is a vitamin-rich, medium-chain, and short-chain fatty acid filled product perfect for cooking and roasting.
Once the chicken breast is cooked, it is then removed from the pan and replaced with garlic and onion. Garlic and onion, members of the allium family, contain sulfur compounds which help to promote the body’s natural detoxification process. They also are rich in numerous antioxidants noted to reduce blood pressure and heart disease, according to this study. But for this recipe? They simply taste amazing.
Granny Smith apple is added to this curry for a hint of natural tart sweetness. Rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, apples are delicious when used in unconventional ways, like this apple and chicken curry. If Granny Smith is not available, use Fuji, Honey Crisp, or Gala instead.
Curry powder adds essential flavor and depth to this dish. Typically, curry powder is made of a blend of coriander, cumin, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, ground mustard, and black pepper. These spices contain abundant antioxidants and are noted to improve digestion.
To finish off this apple and chicken curry recipe add peas, coconut milk, and chicken broth, along with cooked chicken. This mixture is then simmered for a few minutes to allow for flavors to meld together and to let the apples and peas soften.
Divide curry into bowls with cauliflower rice and sprinkle with cilantro, or tuck into a big bowl with a spoon.
With so many fragrant and spicy flavors, this apple and chicken curry is a one-pan dinner sure to become a new favorite.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp curry powder
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- 1 medium white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 2 inch Granny Smith apples cut into ¾pieces
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 1½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt, pepper, cumin, and ½ tsp curry powder.
- Heat ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on both sides, about 8-12 minutes. Remove from pan. Let sit five minutes before slicing into pieces.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onion and garlic to pan. Sauté for five minutes, or until onion and garlic are both translucent.
- Add cooked chicken, apples, peas, curry powder, coconut milk, and chicken broth to pan. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for ten minutes.
- Serve apple and chicken curry with cauliflower rice or as a hearty stew.
- Garnish with cilantro and enjoy!