Lighten up your pasta cravings with this healthy grilled asparagus recipe with white wine fettuccine.
With warmer weather upon us, it’s time to incorporate more fresh, vibrant veggies and fruits into our diets. Asparagus has many health benefits and is full of necessary nutrients such as fiber, folate, Vitamins K and B1, and copper, among others. Asparagus is also a clean veggie which means it's not heavily sprayed with pesticides so you don't have to buy it organic.
The lemons in this dish add a citrusy touch which helps to neutralize the bitterness of asparagus and add more flavor. With a sauce composed of white wine, garlic, and sauteed shallots, this healthy dish will leave you feeling energized and ready to tackle anything. Plus this dish is vegan and gluten-free friendly!
- 1 lb fettuccine noodles gluten-free if desired
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lemons 1 halved and 1 sliced into thin rounds
- 2 shallots minced
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Olive oil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat a grill or grill pan lightly brushed with olive oil over medium-high heat. Chop the bottom ¼ inch off the ends of the asparagus and compost. Drizzle the spears with olive oil. Squeeze half a lemon over them and then add to the grill. Grill for 4-6 minutes until fork tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and minced shallots. Saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and sautee for 2 more minutes. Add white wine, sea salt, and pepper and raise heat to medium until bubbles appear. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add juice from half a lemon. Remove from heat.
- Add the noodles to the sauce and toss. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil if the pasta seems too dry. Top each plate of pasta with grilled asparagus, and lemon slices. Garnish with nutritional yeast if desired. Enjoy!