Serve up these healthy homemade almond joy bars at your next party for a delightful treat.
Made with minimal ingredients, (only five of them!) these homemade almond joy bars are gluten-free, dairy-free, and can be made vegan by swapping out honey for maple or brown rice syrup.
Homemade Almond Joy Ingredients
These homemade almond joy chocolates come together in no time. All you’ll need is shredded unsweetened coconut flakes, raw honey, extra virgin coconut oil, dark chocolate, and raw almonds.
Shredded unsweetened coconut flakes make up the creamy, coconutty filling along with extra virgin coconut oil and honey. Look for finely shredded coconut flakes, as they make the mixture easier to bind together and deliver a tastier texture. Coconut flakes can often be found in the bulk section of your natural grocery store, or in the baking aisle.
Coconut flakes are mixed with extra virgin coconut oil and honey to make a sweet and sticky paste. Always purchase cold-pressed or raw organic extra virgin coconut oil, which hasn’t been overly processed and refined. This means that many of coconut’s beneficial nutrients remain in tact in the oil.
Raw honey sweetens these homemade almond joy chocolates while adding a hint of nutrients. Raw honey is a minimally processed variety of honey that offers more vitamins and minerals than processed conventional honey. Find it at farmers markets, Whole Foods Market, and local co-ops.
Adding raw almonds to these chocolates is a deliciously crunchy way to add in healthy fats and flavor. Almonds are a rich source of monounsaturated fats, which are associated with reduced cholesterol and risk of heart disease, vitamin E, fiber, protein, and magnesium. Of course, if you prefer to go the Mounds route, leave the nuts out.
Top the coconut and almond center with dark chocolate to transform these bars into heavenly goodness. Choose a dark chocolate with at least 80 percent cacao or higher, which delivers the most antioxidants and nutrients associated with dark chocolate health benefits.
These homemade almond joy chocolates are wickedly good.
- Coconut filling:
- 1½ cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons raw honey agave, maple or brown rice syrup
- Chocolate Layer:
- ¼ cup raw almonds
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Line a small baking dish with parchment paper.
- Combine coconut oil and raw honey in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat and stir frequently until melted and combined. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl add coconut flakes and melted coconut oil and honey. Stir to combine.
- Pour coconut mixture into lined baking tray and press firmly into the bottom. Use your hands to evenly press and distribute mixture. Place almonds into pressed coconut mixture, and firmly place down to secure. Randomly scatter almonds or place every two inches.
- Place baking tray in the freezer to chill for five minutes.
- While coconut chills, melt chocolate over a double boiler. Stir in coconut oil and combine fully.
- Remove coconut mixture from the freezer. Pour melted chocolate overtop and move tray back and forth to fully cover and coat.
- Place back in the freezer to fully set, about 30-60 minutes. Remove from freezer, slice into squares, and enjoy!
- Almond joy chocolates will keep in the freezer for 3 months.