8 pounds organic chicken bones (backs, necks, feet and wings)
1 organic stewing hen (optional)
2 onions roughly chopped
3 carrots roughly chopped
2-3 leeks roughly chopped
Bouquet Garni - 1 sprig of thyme, 3 sprigs of parsley and 1 bay leaf, 4-6 peppercorns
about 8 quarts of purified water
Rinse bones with cold water. Place bones, hens and vegetables in a large pot and cover with cold water. There should be a 60:40 ratio of bones to water, 40 being water. Bring to a simmer and add bouquet garni. Simmer about three hours and skim scum frequently.
Strain stock, cool immediately and store.
Cooks Note: Stock can be stored in the refrigerator up to three days or in the freezer up to six months. Use a piece of masking tape, label and date stock putting tape on the storage container. You can then track the age of the stock.
Check out these related Videos, Recipes and Articles
- Check Out Our Chicken Recipe Article Here!
- Cream of Jerusalem Artichoke Soup
- Crab and Mushroom Chowder
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Sage
- Quick & Easy Turkey Stock Video
- Fresh Herb Turkey Gravy Recipe
- Fresh Herb Turkey Gravy Video
- Roast Duck Recipe
Check out all of our Eco Fun Recipe Videos!