A good egg salad combines the creamy texture of boiled eggs with chunky, crunchy bits of veggies and sets it all off with a tangy punch. This recipe for Organic Egg Salad puts a delicious twist on an old favorite and fits the bill but won't break the bank.
12 large organic eggs
2 tablespoons organic mayonnaise or vegan mayo (like Nayonaise)
1 tablespoon organic whole-grain mustard
2 stalks organic celery, washed and chopped
1 small organic dill pickle, washed and chopped
¼ organic red onion, washed and chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by about an inch. Close the pot tight with a lid.
2. Bring to a boil and let boil for one minute. Cover; remove from heat, and let sit for 8 minutes.
3. Prepare a large bowl with ice water, and after the 8 minutes are over, place the eggs inside of it and let sit for 3 minutes. Now you can peel the eggs into a large bowl, and if they're difficult to peel, don't worry – that just means they are very fresh!
4. In the large bowl, add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder and lemon juice. Chop it all together with your fork, but don't mush it up too much – you want there to be chunks of eggs.
5. Add the onion, celery and pickle. Mix it all together lightly and enjoy!
Options and serving suggestions:
- Add sliced black olives and a tablespoon of crumbled feta cheese for a Greek version.
- Worried about cholesterol? Leave out a few of the yolks (your dog will help you figure out what to do with them).
- Add a dollop of sweet pickle relish for a sweet and zesty snap.
- Serve egg salad topped with parsley out of pudding dishes for a light ladies lunch.
- Spread on rye toast and top with lettuce and tomato for an all-star sandwich.
- Top crackers with the salad, then layer with a small slice of avocado.
- Crumble two crisp strips of bacon into the salad to take things up a notch.
- Add some jalapeno flakes and fresh chopped cilantro and serve with tortilla chips for a little taste of Mexico