Turn your favorite summer treats into tasty summertime frozen foods, and discover a whole new way to cool off and chill out.
The best way to freeze most of these summer treats is by arranging them on a baking sheet in a single layer. Once frozen, transfer to a sealable plastic bag, press out all the air that you can, and freeze. To eat the frozen foods, take them out of your freezer about five minutes before enjoying. Most of these summertime treats will keep up to one month in your freezer.
- Grapes – Grapes are the classic frozen foods of the summer. Remove them from their stems before putting them in the freezer. Once they’re frozen, then pop them in your mouth one by one to cool off.
- Bananas – Peel, slice, and freeze. Frozen bananas are tasty all by themselves, or you can use them to make all kinds of fruit smoothies. Blend together with ice, milk of choice, and a squirt of chocolate syrup for a skinny summertime shake.
- Citrus Wedges – Slice oranges, grapefruit, lemons and limes into wedges (keeping the rind on) before you freeze. Oranges and grapefruits can be eaten straight-up (or sprinkled with cinnamon), while frozen slices of lemons and limes stand-in for ice cubes in water or tea.
- Chocolate Bars – Who hasn’t experienced the bliss of a frozen candy bar? For portion control, cut your chocolate bars into smaller slices before freezing. Chocolate peanut butter cups are also to-die-for when frozen.
- Melon – Cut a honeydew melon or cantaloupe into chunks or balls before freezing. Wrap the frozen melon in prosciutto for a summertime twist on the classic appetizer.
- Applesauce – Super delicious when frozen! Freeze single servings right in the package, use popsicle molds, or pour into or ice-cube trays.
- Frosted Cupcakes – Buttercream frosting undergoes a delectable change in the freezer that’s just perfect for a hot summer afternoon. Slices of cake also freeze well.
- Avocados – Remove pit and cut into thick slices. Squeeze fresh lime juice on the slices, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and/or chili powder before you freeze them.
- Lettuce Wedges – You wouldn’t want to thaw the lettuce out before eating it, but munching on a wedge of iceberg lettuce while frozen is a refreshing summertime treat. Cut your lettuce into palm-size pieces before freezing, and dip into your favorite dressing before eating.
- Cheesecake – Slice it thin before freezing, so you won’t be tempted to overdo. Top with a tasty fruit filling and pretend it’s a healthy snack.
- Peppermint Patties – The mint filling inside the chocolate provides a cooling sensation before you ever freeze it. Once frozen, the patties become an ice bath for your brain.
- Yogurt – DIY frozen yogurt pops! Freeze your favorite yogurt right in its cup, or get fancy by using a plastic popsicle mold.
Related on Organic Authority
Easy Frozen Cocktail Recipe: Melon and Vodka Ice Cubes Spritzer
10 Mouthwatering Frozen Dessert Recipes to Keep You Cool and Sweet
FroYo Fo Sho? Battle of “All-Natural” Frozen Desserts
Frozen yogurt pops image via Shutterstock