This chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe is something to write home about. Not only does this zucchini bread use summer’s most abundant vegetable, it is naturally sweetened, Paleo, and gluten-free, too.
Talk about a delicious way to get your green on. Whip this up before zucchinis are gone for the season!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Ingredients
Zucchini -- a type of summer squash, is rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, magnesium, copper, and folate. It’s also a good source of fiber clocking in at two grams per vegetable.
When preparing the ingredients, make sure to remove excess water from the zucchini. Zucchini is naturally water-rich, (approximately 95 percent) which is great for staying hydrated in the summer – but not for baking. Zucchini that has not had excess water squeezed out can result in a loaf with mushy texture – not ideal.
To properly wring out water, add shredded zucchini to a clean dishtowel. Simply wrap it up and use your hands to squeeze out water. Give zucchini a couple of good squeezes, as you’ll be surprised by how much water can come out!
Maple syrup and banana provided sweetness to this zucchini bread. Opt for bananas that are starting to get soft with brown spots, as these are usually sweeter than bright yellow bananas. Along with sweetness, bananas provide a moist texture and binding ingredient for the bread. They are also filled with vitamins and minerals and a good source of fiber, potassium, and B vitamins.
Using almond flour as opposed to wheat flour makes this chocolate chip zucchini bread gluten-free. Almond flour is made from ground up and blanched almonds, and is an easy way to make delicious baked goods gluten-free and Paleo-friendly. Almond flour is also a good source of vitamin E, iron, potassium, calcium, and healthy fats.
Filled with fruit, vegetables, healthy fats, and protein, this delicious chocolate chip zucchini bread is an easy way to enjoy a healthy and sweet treat.
Recipe adapted from Running To The Kitchen
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1½ cup almond flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 banana mashed
- 1 cup shredded zucchini squeezed of excess water
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Sift together almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and sea salt in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, mashed banana, and shredded zucchini until combined. Whisk in dry ingredients until combined.
- Stir in dark chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into lined baking tin. Place tin onto a baking sheet on the center rack in the oven.
- Bake zucchini bread 38-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Carefully remove baked bread from loaf tin and let slightly cool before cutting.