Eggs are delicious, but so hands-on... right? Not shakshuka. This Arabic word means "a mixture," and a pretty swoon-worthy one at that. This bright, tangy, one-skillet recipe is a delicious, cozy weeknight dinner, but it's also a lovely breakfast or brunch after a night out (in the backyard with some organic wine... we are still amid a pandemic after all.)
Originating in North Africa and traditionally served in a cast iron pan, like this one from Staub, shakshuka requires two basic steps to perfect. First, make a zesty tomato sauce. Then, add fresh eggs and bake until jammy and just set. Add flavor and color by sprinkling with feta cheese and fresh herbs, and you suddenly have an Instagram-worthy dish and a super easy cleanup.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne, or to taste
- 1 can (28 oz) of whole plum tomatoes with juice
- Salt, as needed
- Pepper, as needed
- 6 ounces feta, crumbled
- 6 large eggs
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Chop the onions and pepper, and set aside.
2. In the cast iron skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the pepper and onions, and cook until soft (15 to 20 minutes). Add the garlic and cook until tender. Add the spices, and cook one to two minutes more.
3. Add the canned tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer until tomato mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes. Add additional seasoning if needed.
4. Once tomato mixture is at the desired consistency, gently crack the eggs into the skillet, and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until eggs have set.
5. Remove skillet from the oven and sprinkle generously with feta and cilantro. Enjoy straight from the skillet with a side of pita bread or toast.
Related on Organic Authority:
17 Healthy Brunch Recipes as Easy as Sunday Morning
Mushroom and Zucchini Goat Cheese Frittata Recipe with a Secret Twist
3 Reasons Cast Iron Cookware Will Change Your Life Forever
*Affiliate disclosure: Help support Organic Authority! Our site is dedicated to helping people live a conscious lifestyle. We've provided some affiliate links in case you wish to purchase any of the recommended products that we may earn a commission from. This helps us reduce the number of ads we serve, pay the bills, and keep the lights on.