With just a handful of pantry spices, a cooking fat of choice, and pasture raised chicken breasts, this easy recipe is on the table in less than 20 minutes. Talk about a weeknight dinner (or batch cooking goals) success. And these simple turmeric-roasted chicken breasts are paleo-friendly and gluten-free, too.
Roasted Chicken Breasts: Spiced Up
Let’s be honest, chicken breasts can be a bit boring without the addition of flavor and fat. This recipe has both, thanks to a whole host of pantry staple spices and the addition of ghee (clarified butter) or avocado oil.
Along with turmeric, which gives these chicken breasts their golden hue, these chicken breasts are covered in cumin, smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, sea salt, cayenne, cinnamon, and ground ginger.
The spiciness of turmeric and cayenne is complimented with the sweetness of cinnamon and ginger. Adding smoked paprika makes the seasoning even more delicious, while garlic adds a brightness and tang. Although this spice combination may sound strange, the mixture truly makes unbelievably flavored roasted chicken breasts.
Choosing the Chicken: Organic or Not?
Now about that chicken. When shopping for chicken stick with organic and, if possible, pasture-raised chicken breasts. USDA organic certification signifies that organic chicken must be fed 100 percent organic feed and not given antibiotics, hormones, or other drugs.
The organic label, however, does not account for chicken’s quality of life, or the fact that chicken would rather be happily roaming free on pasture eating bugs and worms.
Go a step farther than organic and seek out pasture-raised chicken from the grocery store or from a local farm or farmers market. Here’s where the tricky label reading comes into play. Chicken packaging (and eggs) can be labeled as pasture-raised or free-range, even if they spend little to no time outdoors on pasture.
In 2014, however, the Humane Farm Animal Care (HFAC) enacted two new labeling claims for “Pasture Raised” or “Free Range” that comply with rigorous standards. Look for HFAC’s Certified Humane® “Pasture Raised” or “Free Range” on your next supermarket trip. Better yet, head to the farmers market and talk to the farmer who raised the birds, most likely on pasture.
These simple roasted chicken breasts with a plethora of delicious spices and healthy fats are sure to make the perfect addition to lunch or dinner. Serve alongside some roasted veggies, cut and toss in a grain salad, or eat as a quick post-workout snack on the go.
So long, boring chicken.
- Cook Time
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp melted ghee or avocado oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer in a large baking dish. Brush on either side with melted ghee or avocado oil.
- In a small bowl mix together spice mixture: salt, turmeric, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne, cinnamon, and ginger. Sprinkle the spice mixture liberally over the chicken on both sides. Use your hands to press spices gently into chicken breasts.
- Bake chicken breasts in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear once poked. If using a cooking thermometer, the inside of the thickest part of the breast should be between 160-170 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for five minutes before serving. Leftover chicken will keep in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator for three days.