I know, I know. Avocado toast has been done before. Many times. It’s on every hipster restaurant menu from LA to New York and across the globe. And with good reason: It's delicious! Toasted bread. Nature’s butter (aka avocado). A hint of lime juice. It's absolute foodie perfection.
We're not here to hate on a dish that has brought us nothing but love. But if you're looking for a grain-free alternative this recipe certainly fits the bill. Standing in for bread? A roasted slice of sweet potato.
Sweet potato is a welcome bread alternative in this new classic, adding color and loads of nutrients to your breakfast. It's also super tasty, adding a hint of sweetness to balance out the savory toppings.
This sweet potato toast is also the ideal canvas to adapt to suit your tastes. Want a hit of protein with your meal? Top your little gem with a hard-boiled or poached egg. Looking for a sweeter iteration? This sweet potato toast recipe boasts breakfast toppings galore. But if you're looking for true perfection, a word of advice: make sure pickled onions feature, and sprinkle some of the extra brine on top of the avocado smash. The sweet and savory blend knocks this recipe out of the park.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced ¼ inch thick
- Avocado oil, for cooking
- 1 large avocado
- juice of ½ a lime
- juice of ½ a lemon
- Himalayan pink sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, poached, hard-boiled, over-easy, or scrambled
- Pickled onions
- Broccoli sprouts
- Radishes, sliced
- Dried hot chili peppers
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat up a non-stick skillet (clean cookware only, please) with a tablespoon of avocado oil over medium-low heat. Place the sliced sweet potato in the pan, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip and cook 10 minutes more, or until cooked through. (Alternatively you can brush the sweet potatoes with avocado oil and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.)
2. Make your avocado smash: mash the avocado in a bowl along with the lime and lemon juice and a half a teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
3. Prepare your eggs to your heart’s desire: poached, hard boiled, over easy - whatever lights you up.
4. Now it’s time to make your “toast!” Grab a plate and two slices of sweet potato. Top the sweet potato with a generous amount of avocado smash, then add the egg. Add whatever optional toppings your heart desires, and dig in!