I know, I know. Avocado toast has been done before. Many times. It’s on every hipster restaurant menu from LA to New York and across the globe. And with good reason: It's delicious! Toasted bread. Nature’s butter (aka avocado). A hint of lime juice. It's absolute foodie perfection.
We're not here to hate on a dish that has brought us nothing but love. But if you're looking for a grain-free alternative this recipe certainly fits the bill: standing in for bread? A roasted slice of sweet potato.
Sweet potato is a welcome bread alternative in this new classic for a number of reasons. It adds color (and therefore nutrients) to this already beautiful, delightfully tasty breakfast dish. But it's also super tasty, adding a hint of sweetness to balance out the savory toppings.
This sweet potato toast is perfect for adapting to suit your taste. Want a hit of protein with your meal? Top your little gem with a hard boiled or poached egg. Looking for a sweeter iteration? This sweet potato toast recipe boasts breakfast toppings galore. But if you're looking for true perfection, a word of advice: make sure pickled onions are among your toppings, and sprinkle some of the extra brine on top of the avocado smash. The sweet and savory blend knocks this recipe out of the park, from great to spectacular.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
For the toast
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced ¼ inch thick
- Avocado oil, for cooking
- 1 large avocado
- The juice of ½ a lime
- The juice of ½ a lemon
- Himalayan pink sea salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 eggs, poached, hard-boiled, over-easy or scrambled
- Pickled onions
- Broccoli sprouts
- Radishes, sliced
- Dried hot chili peppers
- A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat up a non-stick skillet (clean cookware only, please) with a tablespoon of avocado oil over medium-low heat. Place the sliced sweet potato in the pan, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Flip and cook 10 minutes more, or until cooked through. (Alternatively you can bake the avocado oil-brushed sweet potatoes at 375F for 30 minutes.)
2. Make your avocado smash: mash the avocado in a bowl along with the lime and lemon juice and a half a teaspoon of salt. Set aside.
3. Prepare your eggs to your heart’s desire: poached, hard boiled, over easy - whatever lights you up.
4. Now it’s time to make your “toast!” Grab a plate and two slices of sweet potato. Top the sweet potato with a generous amount of avocado smash, then add the egg. Add whatever optional toppings your heart desires, and dig in!