If you hadn’t noticed, toast was trending in 2016. Piled high with avocado slices, hummus, and Elvis’s favorite peanut butter and banana combo, toast was having a moment. Now, conscious carb lovers and gluten-free folks are swapping out their whole grain sprouted bread for something even healthier: sweet potato "toast." That's right, you can slice up a tater and drop it in your toaster.
A New Way to Toast with Sweet Potato
Sliced thin and popped in the toaster, sweet potatoes can easily transform into an (albeit orange) accommodating canvas for all your favorite toast toppings.
Sweet potatoes also have major health benefits, too. Sweet potatoes, and other orange-hued fruits and vegetables, are rich sources of beta-carotene. This plant compound is converted into vitamin A in the body, an important nutrient for hair, vision, skin, and immune function. Sweet potatoes are also rich in vitamin C, fiber, potassium, and antioxidants.
Swapping out a sweet potato for bread is a wonderful option if you’re gluten-free or avoiding grains in your diet. Combining sweet potato toast with delicious toppings (see our favorites below), protein, and healthy fat equals one nutritious and delicious meal or snack.
Sweet Potato Toast Topping Ideas:
- Whole milk yogurt and pomegranate seeds
- Almond butter and bananas
- Peanut butter and chocolate chips
- Coconut yogurt and peanut butter
- Nut butter and coconut flakes
- Cinnamon and apple slices
- Sliced tomatoes, hummus, and sprouts
- Smoked salmon
- Poached or fried egg
- Ghee and cinnamon
- Beets and hummus
- Feta cheese and avocado
- Coconut cream and berries
- Berry chia seed jam
With so many different toppings, flavorful combinations, and versatile ingredients, this sweet potato toast can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. We’re going to call this the healthiest toast ever.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 piece of toastServings
- 1 large sweet potato
- Your choice of toppings
- Wash and scrub sweet potato. Slice the potato lengthwise into ¼ inch slices (one potato should yield about five slices).
- Place the slices in a toaster on high for approximately five minutes or until cooked through. (Time may vary depending on your toaster settings.)
- Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
- Extra sweet potato toast slices can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.