Wake up to a delicious, high-protein plant-based breakfast with this tofu scramble recipe. Full of flavor and complete with an egg-like texture, this is the perfect savory breakfast.
While tofu is often described as bland and boring, this recipe proves the opposite. With sauteed onions, bell pepper, and a hearty dash of spice, you'll be reveling in its flavorful glory.
Serve this delightful dish alongside breakfast potatoes or hash browns and a glass or fresh pressed orange juice for a vegan breakfast feast!
Tofu scramble is a healthy substitute for scrambled eggs for multiple reasons. First, it’s egg-free which means it lacks the 160+ milligrams of cholesterol scrambled eggs have. So by skipping the eggs, you'll be avoiding the increased risk of heart disease.
Secondly, tofu is a great source of protein. About one serving of tofu scramble has 13 grams of protein. Tofu is also an excellent source of calcium, omega-3 fats, iron, magnesium, and vitamin B1.
While there are a wide variety of tofu scramble recipes out there, this one is the most flavorful. The trick to making your tofu scramble ultra-tasty is to use a splash of vegetable broth. The vegetable broth infuses more savory notes.
You can also spice up the tofu scramble with a drizzle of sriracha. The spicy flavor balances out the mellow flavor of tofu. The fiery kick will make the tofu scramble even more delicious.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 14 ounces firm tofu drained and pressed
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
- ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Ketchup and sriracha optional
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute for three minutes. Add bell pepper and saute until softened, about six minutes.
- Meanwhile, crumble tofu into a large bowl. Add vegetable broth and spices. Stir and let sit for five minutes, or until broth has been absorbed.
- Add crumbled tofu to the skillet and saute for eight to ten minutes, until tofu is lightly golden and firm. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with ketchup and sriracha if desired. Enjoy!