Looking for a healthy homemade treat to bring to your in-laws or a get-together with your gluten-free besties? Or planning to stay in and devour it yourself? It is chocolate after all. Make this chocolate chip banana bread and become everyone’s most favorite person in the world. You’re welcome.
Bananas, with their naturally sweet taste, are effortlessly transformed into nutritious recipes. They’re an obvious choice for homemade ice cream, are delicious when sautéed with coconut oil and spooned over oatmeal, give moisture to granola bars, and are the other staring ingredient in two-ingredient protein pancakes (eggs + bananas = magic. FYI).
Nutrient-packed bananas also lend their moist texture and natural sweetness to baked goods, like this chocolate chip banana bread. With a variety of vitamins and minerals, this sweet fruit is the ultimate quick bread ingredient.
Nutrient Breakdown: Bananas
One Medium-Sized Banana:
Potassium: 9% of the recommended daily intake (RDI).
Vitamin B6: 33% of the RDI.
Vitamin C: 11% of the RDI.
Magnesium: 8% of the RDI.
Copper: 10% of the RDI.
Manganese: 14% of the RDI.
Fiber: 3.1 grams.
Protein: 1.3 grams.
Fat: 0.4 grams.
Along with digestive friendly fiber and nutrients, bananas are packed with antioxidants that help to reduce oxidative stress in the body. Some of a banana’s antioxidants include dopamine and catechins–two compounds thought to reduce the risk of heart disease and degenerative diseases when consumed frequently.
This chocolate chip banana bread uses coconut flour to make the recipe both gluten-free and fiber-rich. Coconut flour is made from ground and dried coconut meat, also known as the white flesh on the inside of a coconut shell. Due to its minimally processed nature, coconut flour is rich in a variety of nutrients and is an easy flour to use in your baking and cooking.
Dietary tip: Easily make this chocolate chip banana bread Paleo-friendly by swapping out the peanut butter for almond or hazelnut butter. To make this recipe vegan, use flax eggs or egg replacer. If you are substituting ingredients due to dietary restrictions, check the chocolate chip ingredients, too! Most conventional chocolate chips contain soy, dairy, and even gluten. I like Enjoy Life chocolate chips, which are certified vegan, non-GMO, Paleo approved, and gluten-free.
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chocolate peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips + an additional handful
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with coconut oil.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, combine bananas, vanilla, and peanut butter. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add in eggs and blend until combined.
- Add in coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix again until just combined. Stir in ½ cup dark chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top. Sprinkle with a handful of dark chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool and devour!
Photos by Kate Gavlick