Golden gooey caramel is encased in rich layers of dark chocolate, combining to create the perfect dessert. With only five ingredients, this dairy-free vegan chocolate caramel bar couldn’t be any easier to make!
This chocolate recipe uses our vegan caramel sauce for its sweet and chewy center. The key ingredient in vegan caramel is Medjool dates. Medjool dates are not only naturally sweet but also have the perfect gooey texture for making caramel.
Chocolate Caramel Bar Nutrition
Medjool dates are also an ingredient you won’t feel guilty about eating. Medjool dates are an excellent source of many minerals and vitamins. Particularly, they are rich in potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6, niacin, calcium, phosphorus, vitamin K, vitamin A, and zinc. Dates are also a great source of fiber which will help sustain you and prevent blood sugar levels from rising.
The dark chocolate in this recipe is also healthy, especially for the heart. Time and time again, dark chocolate has been proven to be a friend of the cardiovascular system. According to one study published in the medical journal, Heart, dark chocolate was suggested to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease among healthy adults.
The real trick to perfecting vegan chocolate caramel bars lies in preparation. The night before, soak your dates so they will process up easily into a smooth paste. Also, allow plenty of time for each layer to set and harden. This will ensure even layers and that the bar won’t melt in your hands.
Also, be sure to have your pan lined and ready for use. You’ll want the lined pan handy so the chocolate doesn’t begin solidifying before you’ve had the chance to pour it in. A rubber spatula will also make the process easier and will help you create smooth layers.
If you’re feeling extra decadent, put a peanut buttery twist on these candy bars. After the caramel layer has set, pour on a thin layer of melted peanut butter and let sit in the freezer until hardened. The nutty flavor will complement that of the caramel and chocolate.
How To Make Vegan Chocolate Caramel Bar
- 18 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 ½ cups Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper overhanging the edges. Then, heat half of the chocolate chips and half of the coconut oil in a double boiler over medium heat. Stir consistently until chocolate is smooth and melted. Pour evenly into the pan. Transfer to the freezer and let sit until hardened, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add pitted dates to a food processor and process for about two minutes, scraping down sides as needed. Add the water, sea salt, and pure vanilla extract and process for about 30 seconds.
- Once chocolate has set, spread ½ cup of the caramel over the chocolate. Return to the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and then pour over the caramel. Return to the freezer for 30 minutes, or until bars are completely set. Slice into long strips and serve immediately. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Enjoy!
Related on Organic Authority
You Can Now Say Your Chocolate Addiction is Helping You Lose Weight
Make A Food Date with Dates, the ‘Sustainable’ Fruit
6 Chocolatey-Delicious Beauty Products Every Chocoholic Needs