Summer heat may have you sweating through your skivvies. But that doesn’t mean you have to be anything less than sweetly scented. There are all kinds of healthier natural deodorants that work best at keeping you fresh as a daisy.
Deodorant may be the toughest switch to make when moving to natural products. The main reason? Lack of aluminum antiperspirant. Most of us have used traditional antiperspirant/deodorant since puberty and don’t relish the idea of soaking wet pits and the less-than-fresh odor that comes with them. Valid concerns, for sure, but these chemical antiperspirants come at a price to our health.
Aluminum Zirconium Trichlorohydrex, the main ingredient used to control wetness, has been linked to potential DNA damage, Alzheimer’s disease, osteoporosis, skin irritation, and other health risks. Then there are the chemical fragrance and preservative ingredients added to conventional antiperspirants that carry hormonal disruption concerns. Chemical antiperspirants aren’t the only way to counter wetness and odor.
The best healthy deodorant alternatives combine natural wetness control ingredients to absorb moisture, with antibacterial ingredients to keep odor at bay. You can now have your sweet smelling pits and no sweat marks too. There are also DIY options for those who like to make their own. And there are some stellar natural deodorants on the market that you will love.
5 Natural Deodorants for Summer Freshness
1. Soapwalla Kitchen Deodorant Cream has a cult following for a reason. It is smooth, has a light, fresh scent, and won’t leave pits greasy. It also contains moisture absorbing corn starch to keep you dry.
2. Bubble and Bee Pit Putty Stick should be in everyone’s rotation. It works like a charm at controlling wetness and comes in a variety of wonderful scents. Still needs to be rubbed in a bit, but drier than a cream.
3. Schmid’ts Natural Deodorant is technically a cream but more a solid in a jar. Non-greasy, a pea sized amount will do the trick. Great for dry, stink-free pits.
4. LOVEFRESH Natural Cream Deodorant Stick contains Kaolin Clay to help prevent underarm rings, plus shea butter and coconut oil for smooth feel. Choose from six pretty scents.
5. Piperwai Deodorant puts absorbent active charcoal to use. Don’t worry, it rubs in clear so you won’t have black pits! This cream also contains ingredients to balance pH and keep you odor-free.
The best tip in making your natural deodorants work? A steady rotation. Keep two or three on hand and switch them out every two to three weeks or so. Not sure on the science behind this, but trust me, it works.
Your underarms may rebel when first making the chemical antiperspirant to natural deod switch. For a boost of odor protection try Bubble and Bee Pit Primer with natural enzymes. Be patient and stick with it. Soon you will be reaping the health benefits of healthy deodorant alternatives and have happier pits.
*Disclaimer: Help support Organic Authority! Our site is dedicated to helping people live a conscious lifestyle. We’ve provided some affiliate links above in case you wish to purchase any of these products.
Related on Organic Authority
Image of woman with fresh summer pits via Shutterstock