So you've wrapped your last gift, thrown your last party, sipped your last glass of nog ... the holiday season is over, and you probably deserve a little special treatment. Whether you've been missing sleep to play Santa or going a little heavy on the Champagne, your body could use some pampering. So take care of #1 and feel like yourself again, with these fun, holiday-inspired beauty ideas.
1. Egg Nog & Oatmeal Facial Mask
A perfect use for that leftover eggnog you can no longer imagine imbibing: mix it with oatmeal and ground cloves for a hydrating, clearing facial treatment. Eggnog and oatmeal will moisturize and exfoliate your skin, while the cloves help clear your pores. Try not to lick your lips too much.
- 1/3 cup of rolled oats, prepared
- 3/4 cup of eggnog
- 1/2 tsp of flax seed oil
- A couple of dashes of clove powder
Method: Combine the ingredients and smooth them evenly onto your face and neck. Let the mask sit for ten minutes before washing it off.
2. Chocolate Mint Sugar Scrub
Watch out with this one: It's pretty much edible, and you will be sorely tempted. Don't eat it, though: your dry skin needs it more!
- 1 cup of organic or raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder, preferably fair-trade
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of almond oil (or avocado, grape seed, or jojoba oil)
- 1 or 2 drops of all-natural peppermint essential oil
- a drop or two of Vitamin E oil (optional)
Method: Combine the ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Scrub dry skin as needed, and save the rest for a rainy day. Don't forget to wash it off! Or try this Coconut Vanilla Sugar Body Scrub.
3. Vanilla-Honey-Peppermint Bubble Bath
It's high time you treated yourself to a luxurious soak -- and this de-stressing recipe will help that holiday hullabaloo melt away.
- 1 cup of light oil (almond, sunflower, or canola)
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of peppermint Castile soap (e.g. Dr. Bronner's)
- 1 tablespoon of natural vanilla extract
Method: Combine the ingredients in a jar or bottle. Shake or stir gently to mix, then pour about a quarter cup under the tap. For a richer lather, you could use a sulfate-based body wash or shampoo -- but we don't recommend it. This will make enough for about eight baths.
Want more? Try these Do-It-Yourself Organic Spa Treatments!
Photo by Bui Linh Ngan on Flickr.