In our household, December 1st always means that it is time to start the countdown to Christmas with an advent calendar. Sometimes we use a felt advent calendar that we’ve used for years, other years we purchase a special calendar and then there are the times we have made our own.
It’s not too late to start your own tradition of counting down to Christmas Day by making your own advent calendar. Here are some simple ideas and inspiration to get you started.
12 Awesome DIY Advent Calendars
- DIY Boxes Advent Calendar with Free Printable - Here is a free printable you can use to make a stackable gift box tree calendar.
- Message in Bottle Advent Calendar - Add messages and activities on slips of paper to a mason jar for an easy advent countdown.
- Red Envelopes - Just use bright red envelopes hung in the shape of a tree for a super easy calendar.
- Corkboard Embroidery Hoop Idea - I love this idea for using a large embroidery hoop filled with cork on which to hang cards, baubles and other clever countdown pretties.
- Mini Tree and Box Calendar - This is another clever idea for using those mini trees found at craft stores and craft paper boxes for a fun countdown. Stuff each with a treat or a sweet message.
- Chalkboard Paint Advent Calendar - Here’s a tutorial for making a fun chalkboard paint countdown to Christmas.
- Ribbon and Clothespins Countdown - Here is a another simple idea--just use a pretty ribbon, clothespins and holiday cutouts to countdown to Christmas.
- Packages Tied Up With String - Here is another simple way to use clothespins, along with paper bags, twine and wool felt to make a simple calendar.
- Toilet Paper Roll Calendar - What an ingenious idea to reusing toilet paper tubes to countdown the days to Christmas!
- Branch Calendar - Let nature and and your own creativity guide you with this wonderful inspirational calendar.
- Clothespin Countdown - Jazz up a thrift store frame and some Dollar Store clothespins with this tutorial.
- Printable Poster Calendar - Here is a pretty AND free poster-sized printable advent calendar. You can get something this printed at any Staples or Kinko’s type store.
Related on Organic Authority
Top Image: Anders Ruff Custom Designs