Although feta originated in Greece, French feta, milder and less salty, is better for this salad because of the saltiness of the olive relish. You can make the olive relish up to a day in advance. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until ready to use.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6Servings
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 clove largegarlic minced
- 11/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 large Greek or Sicilian green olives pitted and chopped
- 6-8 brine-cured black Mediterranean olives pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fennel
- 3 large green onions including green parts, chopped
- 12 small multicolored potatoes about 21/2 pounds
- 14 ounces quartered artichoke hearts in water preferably from a jar
- 5 ounces feta cheese coarsely crumbled
- To make the olive relish, combine the oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and 1/4 tsp pepper in a bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Stir in the olives, fennel, and two-thirds of the green onions.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender when pierced with a small knife, about 25 minutes.
- Drain and let stand until cool to the touch, about 20 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in half, then transfer to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add the artichokes and olive relish. Toss to blend.
- Stir in most of the cheese, reserving some for sprinkling on top.
- Sprinkle the remaining green onions and the remaining cheese over the salad and serve.