Has the winter weather wreaked havoc on your face? Grapefruit scrub to the rescue!
Cold, dry weather is hard on your skin. Chances are, your face is pretty dry after so many chilly months, and a scrub can help slough away dead skin cells, leaving you with smooth, soft skin. Grapefruit is loaded with vitamin C and citric acid to help rid your skin of those dead cells that cause flakiness and breakouts.
The trick to soothing dry winter skin is really a two-step process: after you use the scrub recipe below, follow it up with a light moisturizer, to help replenish some of the moisture that your skin has lost. This one-two punch is perfect for beating the drying, flaky effects of winter weather.
DIY Grapefruit Facial Scrub
One word of caution: grapefruit is quite acidic, so you might want to do a spot-test with this scrub to make sure your skin doesn’t react to all of that citric acid. The inside of your arm is a good testing spot, since it also has sensitive skin, like your face.
- 1/2 of a pink grapefruit, peeled
- 1 cup brown sugar
- water or grapefruit juice, as needed
1. Toss the grapefruit and sugar into your blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. If you’re having trouble getting things moving in the blender, add the water or grapefruit juice – 1 tablespoon at a time – until things are blending up nicely.
2. To apply, wash your face as usual, then gently massage 1-2 tablespoons of the scrub into your still-damp skin. If you like, you can let it sit on your face for a few minutes before gently wiping the scrub away with a warm, damp wash cloth.
3. Follow up with a good facial moisturizer.
You can use this scrub once a week to give your skin a healthy glow. I wouldn’t use it too much more frequently, since that acidic grapefruit – which is beneficial in occasional doses – can irritate your skin if you apply it too often.
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by Muffet