Who doesn’t love a homemade caramel and the addition of fleur de sel is almost too much for the taste buds to handle. This fleur de sel caramel recipe is a show stopper that adds DIY flare to your holiday gift giving repertoire.
Fleur De Sel Caramel Recipe
Servings: Makes about 125 one-inch pieces
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 can evaporated milk
3/4 cup organic heavy cream
3/4 cup molasses
2 tbsp local or organic butter
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp Fleur de Sel
1. Bring sugar, evaporated milk, and heavy cream to a boil over medium heat. Add corn syrup and cook until mixture reaches 230 degrees F (using a candy thermometer).
2. Add in butter and vanilla. Make sure you use real vanilla extract here, it makes a big difference. Continue cooking until mixture reaches 240 degrees F.
3. Remove from heat and stir in salt. Carefully pour into a lightly oiled 9 x 13 baking dish.
4. Cool for at least an hour. Invert onto a cutting board and slice into 1-inch pieces.
5. Wrap each piece in parchment paper, securing the ends with twists.
Image: Accidental Hendonist
This article was updated December 18, 2013.