With the start of 2013 comes the predictions of what will be hot in the food world this year, and topping several reputable lists was that humble whole grain, popcorn. But don’t be fooled; they’re not talking Jiffy Pop. I’ve already tasted blue cheese dusted popcorn as part of an asparagus and poached egg salad, and salted caramel popcorn topping gingerbread a la mode.
But there’s no need to head out to a fancy restaurant to indulge your inner foodie—this trend is totally DIY. Get started with some of the gourmet popcorn recipes below.
Apart from eating it straight from the bowl, you can take a page from gourmet chefs’ playbooks and try adding popcorn to salads, topping soups with it, or garnishing your main course. And for dessert, top creamy dishes for a nice textural contrast, or serve with a selection of other small sweet treats.
Savory Popcorn Recipes
- Cool Ranch Popcorn has got to be better for you than the similarly named corn chips, am I right?
- I love that this Buffalo Popcorn recipe has a hint of honey so you get that sweet heat flavor. Try adding finely crumbled blue cheese for another kick of flavor.
- Make this Sesame Popcorn with black sesame seeds for a snack that screams sophistication—Oscar party-worthy anyone?
- They say the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach, and this Truffle Bacon Popcorn might prove it to be right.
- This healthy Sweet & Spicy Wasabi Popcorn even comes with instructions for making your popcorn on the stove—how retro!
- Garlic, Thyme & Parmesan Popcorn sounds divine, but with 6 cloves of garlic in, better not make it for date night.
- Use red and white popcorn for this gorgeous Smoked Paprika, Black Pepper and Parmesan Popcorn.
- Chili Lime Tequila Popcorn? It’s like a party in your mouth.
Sweet Popcorn Recipes
9. I am seriously intrigued by this Rosemary Infused Olive Oil, Dark Chocolate and Salt Popcorn.
10. This Maple Pumpkin Spice Popcorn contains no white sugar.
11. Chocolate Chip Cookie Popcorn—too much? (We’d better make it and find out.)
12.This Party Popcorn is just too cute, especially for a kid’s birthday party!
13. Mix apple chips with this Caramel Apple Popcorn for a crunchy twist.
14. Creamsicle Popcorn might take you back to your childhood…
15. While Cinnabon Popcorn might make you dream of the mall. (Ha!)
16. And a Salty Caramel Popcorn recipe, in case you want to try recreating that gingerbread dessert I had. Please invite me over.