Even with best intentions and the safest sunscreens…sunburn happens. Be prepared. Stock up on the best organic after-sun skincare.
No need to lecture on the dangers of overdoing rays. We know you get it and do your best to protect your skin. But once in a while, you are going to get burned.
Feel like reaching for some old school relief, like those sprays of our youth? Don’t! The American Academy of Dermatology recommends avoiding products that contain petroleum, as they can actually trap the heat in, and benzocaine and lidocaine, which can irritate already upset skin.
After-sun products are not only great for providing sunburn relief, but pack ingredients that are cooling, anti-inflammatory, and reparative.
Aloe vera is one of the best ingredients for offering relief from irritation due to sunburn, wind burn, salt, sand, and simply too much outdoor fun. It is cooling, soothing, lightly hydrating, and packed with antioxidants to help repair damaged skin.
Another goody for irritated skin is honey. This sweet ingredient is soothing, softening, and healing. Manuka honey is best for treating sunburn and skin upset.
Mint is often used in sunburn remedies for its cooling and calming effect. Calendula is another natural skin soother that also helps to ward off the appearance of sun damage.
You are likely already sipping on green tea this summer. Why not give your skin the same goodness? Green tea is both calming and antioxidant rich, to keep skin happy and youthful.
Ok, now let’s take a look at products that contain these skin loving ingredients. Of course, all products we recommend are completely nontoxic.
6 Best Natural After Sun Products for Sunburn Relief
1. Dr. Alkaitis Organic Herbal Toner contains aloe and witch hazel to cool and soothe, and chamomile to further calm skin.
2. La Bella Figura Beauty – Healing Manuka Honey Mask fights free radical damage and restores hydration and softness to damaged skin.
3. Laurel Whole Plant Organics Body Oil: Sun Before + After is an all ‘round product that can be used before, after, and even during sun exposure. Red raspberry and coconut oil offer incidental sun protection, while rosehip and seabuckthorn oils fight skin damage and restore vitality.
4. EiR NYC Sunset Oil rehydrates skin and soothes sunburn with aloe, arnica, and chamomile.
5. Honey Girl Organics After Sun Face & Body Lotion is created in Hawaii, where they know sun. Aloe and honey work their magic on parched, burned skin.
6. Lavera After Sun Lotion is super moisturizing and offers relief with aloe and calendula. The perfect fix for sun overdose.
*Disclaimer: Help support Organic Authority! Our site is dedicated to helping people live a conscious lifestyle. We’ve provided some affiliate links above in case you wish to purchase any of these products.
Related on Organic Authority
8 Best Natural Lip Sunscreens for Summer 2016: Protect Your Pout
5 Natural Home Remedies for Sunburn Relief
The Sunscreen Ingredients You Want to Avoid (and How to Choose the Good Stuff)
Image of woman with sunburn via Shutterstock