When I was pregnant, the only foods I ever really craved were olives. Black olives, green olives, dried olives, briny olives. It’s no surprise, though. I also crave them when I’m not pregnant. The salty, oily fruit full of flavor and texture…is anything better? But olive recipes? Most often, they barely make it out of the jar.
Olives have many culinary applications beyond the pizza topping. Although, that’s a most mouthwatering place for them, too. And with so many nutritional benefits, olive recipes give you a variety of ways to enjoy these healthy fruits.
The olive is loaded with healthy, delicious fat, of course. It’s why we love olive oil so much. Olives are also a source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits. Olives contain two phenols (tyrosol and hydroxytyrosol) that can help to reduce inflammation in the body. And several terpenes (especially oleuropein, erythrodiol, uvaol, oleanolic acid, elenoic acid and ligstroside) also provide healthful benefits. While nutrition varies by olive variety, most are rich in flavonoids including apigenin, luteolin, cyanidins, and peonidins, as well as hydroxycinnamic acids like caffeic acid, cinnamic acid, ferulic acid, and coumaric acid.
Whether you love them green or black, there's sure to be an olive recipe to satisfy your olive cravings.
1. Olives in a veggie burger? It’s like vegan heaven in a bun.
2. Spice up an enchilada with ripe and juicy black olives.
3. This is a vegan version of the cheesy olives my mom made when I was a kid.
4. Of course olives go wonderfully with kale.
5. A puttanesca with quinoa instead of pasta and lots of yummy kalamata olives.
6. Skip the noodles but not the olives in this raw vegan lasagna recipe.
From the Organic Authority Files
7. When was the last time you had paella?
8. Hummus loaded with black olives. Yum.
9. For the baker. Bread with olives and olive oil.
10. A stuffed squash with olives and Moroccan spice for when you’re feeling fancy.
11. Sometimes all you need is a bowlful of marinated olives.
Find Jill on Twitter @jillettinger
Related on Organic Authority
Image by Sheri Giblin