Can’t get enough avocados? Kick-start your day by boosting you breakfast with a dose of this healthy—and so, so tasty—fruit. Read on for 6 ways to enjoy an avocado breakfast.
- Spooned over a skillet. If you order chilaquiles or huevos rancheros while out for breakfast, they may very well come topped with fresh avocado. Yet virtually any breakfast skillet or hash does well with a few scoops of fresh avocado atop. Try it with a veggie skillet, hash browns, or even an omelet or quiche.
- Baked in half. You can enjoy them served over baked hashes and skillets, so why not bake the avocado itself? Try it stuffed with an egg for an easy all-in-one breakfast: halve and pit an avocado, then crack an egg into the cavity and bake at 400°F until egg is set, about 15 to 20 minutes. Or skip the egg and fill the avocado cavity with mashed tofu or scrambled veggies.
- Sliced with eggs and tomatoes. One of my favorite ways to eat avocados for breakfast is also one of the simplest—sliced and served fresh with a baked egg and sliced tomatoes. Arrange everything on a serving platter, and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil, a teensy splash of balsamic vinegar, and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. You’re going to love this!
- Tacoed up. Move over lunch, tacos are now an ideal breakfast, especially when they’re not weighed down with fatty meats or cheeses. Instead, roll yourself a lean breakfast taco with sliced avocado, either a scoop of beans or a fried egg, and a bit of fresh cilantro and salsa. Keep it traditional with a soft corn tortilla, or use a sprouted whole grain tortilla for an extra boost of fiber.
- Layered into a breakfast sandwich. Maybe you enjoy eggs and veggies in an English muffin, or perhaps cream cheese and salmon in a bagel. Maybe you even like plain toast with a smear of butter. Whatever your breakfast sandwich of choice, get your healthy fat fix by adding a slice or two of fresh avocado in there. You can even try it in a sweet breakfast Sammy like honey or jam and toast for a slightly savory twist.
- Tossed into a smoothie. Whether green, fruit, or protein-based, any breakfast smoothie will get creamier and more luxurious with a half of an avocado tossed into it.
Related on Organic Authority