Wind, cold and incessant drying from indoor heating systems are about to hit our skin. Hard. Be prepared this fall with homemade DIY skin care routines that can keep the cracked, chapped skin at bay, or at the very least, fix it up once it happens.
Try our seven fall DIY skin care recipes and your skin will thank you for it!
1. Homemade Lotion Bars: Soothe those dry, cracked heels and elbows with these rich homemade coconut oil lotion bars! Add your favorite soothing essential oil to coconut oil, shea butter, almond oil and beeswax to make these bars. They also make a great gift.
2. Salt Scrub: If you need a more intense rejuvenation of those heels, use a salt scrub to scrub the dead skin away and leave your heels smooth.
3. Manuka Honey: Yep, this one-ingredient wonder can help with dry skin, breakouts, chapped lips and exfoliation.
4. Lip Balm: Add a tablespoon of manuka honey to this lip balm recipe that already includes beeswax, coconut oil and shea butter for super-charged chapped lip nourishment.
From the Organic Authority Files
5. Moisturizer: All that wind and cold that's coming our way means you need to hydrate your skin. So, in addition to drinking lots of water, use a homemade moisturizer.
6. Oil Cleansing Method: You may know the no 'poo movement. Supporters espouse the benefits of not using soap or shampoo on your hair. This way, your scalp produces less oil and can be cleansed simply with hot water. Well, the same goes for your face. If you clean it with soap, it may dry out at first. But that constant cleansing tells your face to produce more oil. Give it a break by cleansing it with oil, instead. Bonus! You can add essential oils to help whatever ails your skin.
7. Clay Mask: Make your own clay mask to pamper yourself spa-style at home. It can draw toxins out of your skin and leave your face aglow.
Related on Organic Authority