The kids are "back to school" and fall is slowly approaching. But you know what else is quickly approaching? The weekend! And while we all know the weekend is approaching because it's Friday, we also know it's near because it's time for our weekly From Our Friends, where we roundup some of OA’s favorite posts, published by our friends and partners around the web.
This week's post has information about how to craft a backpack from old jeans, advice on how to use excess veggies, not so great news about where a lot of bottled water comes from, some smoothie detox advice, and a reminder on why fragrance stinks. Also: A sweet muffin post and information about running in the heat.
1. Get creative with your kid's "back to school" backpack this year by making a new bag out of old jeans. Via Crafting a Green World.
2. Do you have a surplus of veggies because your garden is doing well this year? If so, HooplaHa has a great post about how you can use the extra produce.
3. Drinking bottled water? May want to put it down. Turns out that a lot of bottled water comes from drought zones. Story from Grist.
4. If you're on a smoothie kick, check out this post about detoxing your cool drink from The Chalkboard.
5. If you need a reminder, Treehugger has a post on why you should avoid fragrance.
From the Organic Authority Files
6. Start getting in apple mode and whip up these tasty Maple-Apple Muffins from Vegetarian Times.
7. Too hot? Here are some tips for running in the summer heat. Via Well and Good.
Related on Organic Authority