It happens every year. In the heart of the deepest cold of winter, I commit myself to some laborious afghan project. I buy up skeins and skeins of yarn determined to actually finish my latest project obsession this time. It never happens. The season ends and the last thing I want to work on is a hot and heavy throw project. I need some inspirational yarn crafts to help me use up all the yarn from abandoned knitting and crocheting projects.
This year will be different! Not because I’m actually going to finish that afghan, but I’m determined to come up with alternative projects to utilize all that leftover yarn I’ve collected. To that end, I’ve compiled a roundup of yarn crafts that don’t necessarily involve knitting or crocheting. These are alternative projects for using up your leftover and unused yarn though--the kind of projects that you just might not come up without a little inspiration.
Yarn Crafts for Using Up Your Yarn Stash
- Yarn Ball Bookmarks - You remember making pompoms in camp? Turn them into useful bookmarks that are perfect for gifting.
- Gift Wrap - Bits of leftover yarn are a perfect stand in for ribbon when wrapping gifts.
- Yarn Wrapped Bangles - Add some color and texture to old bangle bracelets.
- Pom Pom Flowers - Pom Poms can also double as allergy-free flowers.
- Yarn Wrapped Letters - An easy idea for decorating a nursery or kids room.
- Fish Tail Braid with Yarn - Add yarn to a fishtail braid for a colorful look.
- Yarn String Chandeliers - Add some light and some color to a dark corner.
- Yarn Tassel Bedskirt - What a colorfully clever way to use yarn tassels in your home!
- Yarn for the Birds - Repurpose bits of yarn and an old suet feeder so the birds and other wildlife can repurpose your scraps to make their nests.
- DIY Yarn Draped Wall Art - Make an easy and stunning hanging wall art piece.
- Handmade Yarn Feathers - Make pretty yarn feathers with your scraps leftover from knitting projects.
- Home Sweet Home Yarn Art - Love this idea for making a home sweet home wall art.
Related on Organic Authority