Coconut oil is an amazing substance for skin, teeth and hair. Of particular interest is the “lauric acid, found in large quantities in both coconut oil and in mother’s milk. This fatty acid has strong anti-fungal and antimicrobial properties,” writes Sally Fallon in her 1995 book “Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats.”
Adding coconut oil to your skin may support skin repair and reduce the symptoms and appearance of rashes. Adding it to your toothpaste may support dental health with coconut oil’s antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Try our 11 DIY coconut oil uses for health and beauty products to harness the antifungal, antimicrobial and soothing qualities of coconut oil.
1. Sugar Scrub: One of the simplest DIY coconut oil products to start with is sugar scrub. Simply combine coconut oil and sugar to use as an exfoliating scrub. I use it prior to shaving to make my skin smoother and easier to shave without toxic shave gels.
2. Salt Scrub: Substitute coconut oil in this recipe to make a great scrub for exfoliating your skin.
3. Lotion Bars: These bars made with coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter and almond oil are amazing for rough, dry skin. I love to use these on cracked heels.
4. Eczema Cream: This eczema cream made with coconut oil, shea butter, Melrose and lavender essential oils works wonders on my daughter’s eczema.
5. Lip Balm: Soothe your chapped lips with coconut oil and lavender.
6. Toothpaste: Try this jarred toothpaste. Coconut oil is a great ingredient for toothpastes because of its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. It has been proven to prevent tooth decay. Considering that triclosan and other synthetic toxic chemicals are used in store-bought toothpastes, making your own is a great choice.
7. Deodorant: I use a homemade deodorant stick made with coconut oil, baking soda, corn starch and Purification essential oil. For my husband, I add a bit of Citrus Fresh since he loves that scent. Or try this deodorant with coconut oil and bentonite clay.
8. Sunscreen: Make your own non-toxic sunscreen with coconut oil.
9. Shaving Cream: Coconut oil, baking soda, honey and castille soap make up this homemade shaving soap bar.
10. Oil Cleansing Method: And don’t forget the benefits of cleaning your face with pure coconut oil. This method may work especially well for those with oily skin. Adding coconut oil to your skin rather than harsh soaps can signal to your skin that it’s overproducing oil.
11. Hair Treatment: Use coconut oil on your hair and scalp. Combined with lemon juice, coconut oil may even reverse gray hair.
Before crafting your DIY coconut oil beauty products, please check out our guide on selecting the best quality coconut oil.
Related on Organic Authority