Pumpkin seeds are one of my favorite fall snacks. Companies like Eden Organic offer bags of dry-roasted seeds, including a spiced version. The seeds are a great source of protein, fiber, phosphorus and magnesium. Unlike most of the nonorganic brands, Eden’s pumpkin seeds are relatively low in sodium (75 to 100 mg per 1/4 cup).
If you’re carving an organic pumpkin this Halloween, toast your own seeds and flavor them with your favorite herbs and spices. The basic recipe follows. Tune in tomorrow for some kicked-up Sweet-Hot Pumpkin Seeds with Autumn Spices.
Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
1 small pumpkin
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Remove seeds using a large spoon. To separate seeds from pumpkin fiber, place the mixture in a large bowl filled with cold water.
- Stir the mixture, and seeds will float to the surface. Remove seeds with a slotted spoon, and pat them dry on paper towels.
- Place seeds in a dry bowl. Coat them with vegetable oil.
- Spread seeds on a foil-lined baking sheet, coated with nonstick spray, and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Recipe courtesy of Pumpkin Masters