Late spring calls for hearty yet fresh and healthy meals like this plant-based quinoa stir-fry recipe with mushrooms and bok choy. The lightly spiced chili tamari sauce adds a punch of flavor, making this an anything but ordinary stir-fry recipe. Chili is also great for aiding in fighting off spring colds as the spicy kick will help decongest your sinuses.
Bok choy’s peak season is late spring and early summer when temperatures are still a bit cool. The green leafy member of the cabbage family can be commonly found year round, so if you fall in love with this bok choy recipe, you won’t have to part ways with it come autumn. Be sure to pick vibrant, crisp bok choy and avoid those that are wilted. The crunchy stems are the best part and add a delightful bite to this stir-fry recipe.
Quinoa adds protein to this dish. If you prefer your grains to be heartier, it can be mixed in with brown rice. The light fluffy texture of quinoa is great for energy as it is packed with amino acids and 8 grams of protein per cup. Try cooking your quinoa in vegetable broth instead of water for more flavor!
This sensational stir-fry can be enjoyed on its own or with edamame as a protein filled wholesome appetizer. Either way, you are bound to enjoy this standout spring dish!
Savory Quinoa, Mushroom, and Bok Choy Stir Fry Recipe
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 pound of bok choy, rinsed and patted dry
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, crimini or white
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium tamari
- 2 tablespoons organic chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Cut the base off of the bok choy. Separate the leaves and then set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together tamari, chili sauce, rice wine vinegar, and sesame oil. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic and ginger and saute for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and raise heat to medium. Stir fry until they are lightly browned. Add bok choy and saute until lightly wilted for about 1-2 minutes. Add the quinoa and chili sauce and mix until well combined. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Related on Organic Authority
4 Vegetarian Chinese Food Recipes for Meatless Monday: Put Down that Takeout Menu!
10 Quinoa Recipes: Made Fresh or Use Up That Leftover Quinoa
Vegan Springtime Sushi Salad Recipe with Marinated Tofu and Brown Rice
Image of stir-fried bok choy with mushrooms via Shutterstock