Despite its namesake, spaghetti squash can be used for more than just a lower-carb spaghetti alternative. In this vegan spaghetti squash soup recipe, the squash is combined with vegetables, spices, and coconut milk to create a fragrant and deliciously creamy but light soup. It goes down easy and will satisfy your hunger for hours, making for the perfect comforting winter squash soup without weighing you down.
Spaghetti squash is a yellow-orange colored squash offering a high dose of beta-carotene. One cup of cubed spaghetti squash contains 31 calories, 0.6 grams of fat, 109.1 milligrams of potassium, 1.5 grams of dietary fiber, and a good dose of vitamins A, C, and B-6 as well as magnesium, iron, and calcium.
When cooked, the tender flesh of spaghetti squash falls from the core like stringy ribbon. At this point, the flesh can be used as spaghetti and topped with your favorite marinara or alfredo sauce. However, the flesh is tender enough to be blended with other ingredients to make a soup.
Creamy Vegan Spaghetti Squash Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 onion
- 2 large carrots
- 1 bunch parsley
- ½ cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 scallion, chopped for garnish
- Pumpkin seeds for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half, lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds and drizzle 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil across both the halves.
- Place the halves face down on baking dish and pop into the oven for about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the spaghetti squash is tender throughout.
- While the spaghetti squash cooks, in a large pot over medium-high heat add the remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, garlic, onion, and carrots.
- Cook and stir occasionally until the carrot is tender and the onion becomes translucent – about 8 minutes. Turn the heat to low.
- When the squash is cooked, remove the halves from the oven and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh, discarding the skin.
- Place the flesh into a blender along with the vegetable stock and coconut milk. Blend.
- Add the vegetable mixture and blend again until smooth. Transfer the spaghetti squash mixture to the pot to reheat.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir.
- Serve with a garnish of chopped scallions and pumpkin seeds.
Related on Organic Authority
Squash Soup Image from Shutterstock