Whether you’re avoiding marinara due to tomato allergies, acid intolerance or just plain dislike of tomatoes, you’ll want to try these 12 tomato-free Italian sauce recipes atop your pizzas and pastas.
1. Tomato-Free Pasta Sauce: This gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan sauce is made with carrots, sweet potatoes and beets. Make it as a plain tomato sauce for recipes or add Italian herbs to make the sauce into a mock marinara.
2. Tomato-Free Marinara Sauce: Made with beets and pumpkin puree, this gluten- and dairy-free sauce is easy to whip up in less than 30 minutes.
3. Tomatoless Tomato Sauce: Roasted butternut squash, zucchini and beet stock highlight Nourishing Gourmet’s version of tomatoless sauce.
4. Onion Pizza Sauce: This recipe is low-amine, gluten-free, soy-free, tomato-free, dairy-free, egg-free, nut-free and Paleo-friendly. Sautee sweet and red onions to make this tangy alternative to cream-based pizza sauce.
5. Olive Oil and Garlic: Simply drizzle your pizza crust with olive oil and sprinkle on as much minced garlic as you like instead of using tomato pizza sauce.
6. Hummus Pizza Sauce: Try the method from this Chicken Hummus Pizza to give your pizza a simple sauce made of delicious chickpea-based spread.
7. Pesto Sauce: Pesto is great on pasta and pizza, too. Try our Fresh Pesto with Basil and Arugula.
8. Plum and Grape Wine Sauce: Go with a fancy pizza that relies on its toppings to provide the sauce. Try the plum and grape wine sauce from our Basil, Grape and Plum Goat Cheese Pizza.
9. Vegan Cheese Sauce Powder: This “cheesy” vegan powder can be prepared ahead and heated with dairy-free milk before pouring over your favorite pasta.
10. Easy Cheese Sauce: This cheese noodle-topper is ready in about 10 minutes.
11. Pumpkin Alfredo: Pumpkin season or not, you’re going to want to enjoy the delicious depth of flavor in this unique alfredo.
12. Garlic Alfredo: A garlicky treat, this alfredo sauce is made simple by using cream cheese.
Keep in touch with Kristi on Twitter @VeggieConverter