Time and time again, reports have shown that it is possible to eat healthfully on a budget, yet the myth persists that fresh food is always more expensive. While some fresh produce is expensive—fresh raspberries, for example, average more than $7 per pound—many fresh foods are very affordable. We’ve rounded up the top 12 nutritious fresh foods you can buy.
- Watermelon — Watermelon averages just $0.17 per cup, meaning you can indulge in a whole lot of sweet antioxidants for not very much moolah.
- Bananas — At only $0.21 per edible cup, bananas pack a huge nutritional wollop for not a lot of money. They make a great individually packaged on-the-go snack.
- Oranges — Another snack that comes in its own biodegradable wrapper, oranges have the added bonus of keeping for a long time when properly stored.
- Pears — Full of fiber and a steal at only $0.42 per cup.
- Honeydew — Another winning melon, clocking in at an average of only $0.45 per cup.
- Plums — Purple foods are nutritional powerhouses, and plums are super sweet and super nutritious.
- Cauliflower — This crunchy crucifor is only $0.31 per cup! Try this amazing Manchurian cauliflower recipe for a dish that will convert nonbelievers.
- Cabbage — Versatile and delicious, cabbage is a nutritional and inexpensive winner. It also keeps for weeks!
- Carrots — Buy whole carrots, not babies, and you’ll save a bundle. You can always cut them into sticks at home!
- Onions — Spice up your life with these inexpensive veggies.
- Celery — Perfect for snacking or stirring into soups or stews. At $0.33 per cup, celery is a way better vehicle for your dips than chips.
- Sweet Potatoes — Bring on the vitamin A! These orange gems are crazy nutritious and a varitable grocery store steal.