We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day; skipping it is no longer an option. But did you know that it’s not just the fact of eating breakfast, but what you eat, that can change the course of your day? One of the best options for people who want to get the most nutrients out of their morning meal without too much effort is our power smoothie recipe for the breakfast of champions.
This smoothie is more of a set of guidelines than an actual recipe. That being said, certain elements are truly essential. For one large smoothie or two small ones (perfect for a snack!), be sure to include these ingredients:
- 1/2 banana. Bananas are high in potassium, which can help regulate high blood pressure. They also have a naturally creamy texture, which is perfectly suited to smoothies.
- 1/2 cup flavored or plain yogurt. Yogurt is an important food for the digestive tract, with healthy bacteria that are essential to good intestinal health. In addition, the calcium from yogurt is a great way to start your day, and it adds a creaminess to the smoothie.
- 1/2 cup blueberries. Blueberries are naturally high in antioxidants. Use frozen blueberries to add a great texture to your smoothies.
- 1/2 green apple. Green apples are naturally high in flavonoids, antioxidants, vitamin C and fiber. Add the skin as well, for the full fiber benefits.
- 1-2 inches celery stalk. Celery is high in vitamin A and several B vitamins, as well as fiber and essential, organic sodium.
You’re already well on your way to a great morning beverage with the list above, but for a true power smoothie, add some or all of the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon honey. Honey is a natural sweetener, and the health benefits of honey are numerous.
- 1 tablespoon spelt bran. Spelt is an ancient grain high in protein and B vitamins. It is wheat-free and easier to digest than wheat. Not only is spelt good for you, but it brings a nutty flavor and a great substance to the smoothie. You can also substitute spelt bran with rolled oats, oat bran, wheat bran, or even a whole grain puffed wheat, rice or spelt cracker, crumbled into the smoothie. These complex carbs will bring you energy.
- Seasonal fruits. Seasonal fruits add great variety to this smoothie, so add whatever you have laying around. Variety is great for the diet, so it doesn’t much matter what you add, as long as you’re always changing it up!
- Whey protein. Especially if you’re feeling sluggish or low on protein, add a bit of your favorite whey protein to this smoothie.
- A 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cinnamon is delicious… and so good for you! The health benefits of cinnamon include heart and brain health, and can help stabilize blood sugar.
- A quarter inch of grated ginger root. Ginger is great for digestion and can even help improve general colon health.
Whichever ingredients you choose to use, simply chop them into small-ish pieces and send them for a spin through the blender. Consume your smoothie immediately, and start reaping the benefits!