If you want a great beef sandwich with a twist, this is a must! The grass-fed, organic beef makes this recipe a whole lot healthier than traditional beef sandwiches. And if you have the time make your own crème fraiche ahead of time (it will take you all of two minutes). Not only is it healthier but you will save at the checkout. The tangy, yet spicy crème fraiche, paired with the spicy arugula and sweet caramelized onions is absolutely delish! Any guy will love this dish. You can prepare this in about 10 minutes.
3 tablespoons butter, divided
2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced into rounds
1 12-ounce organic, grass-fed rib-eye steak, about 3/4 inch thick (We recommend our friends at Rocky Mountain Organic Meats)
1 cup crème fraiche (homemade is the best!)
6 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon of chopped fresh chives or green onions
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
5-inch lengths of French bread, halved horizontally
1 cup arugula
salt and pepper
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; sauté until soft and lightly browned, about 7-10 minutes. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter to skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Season steak on both sides with salt, pepper and rosemary. Add to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steak to work surface; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise and horseradish in small bowl. Spread mixture over cut sides of rolls. Thinly slice steak. Place steak slices on bread bottoms. Top with onions, arugula, and roll tops, serve.
Note: Because you follow an organic lifestyle,OrganicAuthority.com recommends using certified organic ingredients, when available, in all recipes to maximize flavors and nutrition while minimizing your risk of exposure to pesticides, chemicals and preservatives.
Read more about the health benefits of choosing organic, grass-fed beef:
- Ground Beef “Still a Gamble”
- Don’t Eat Dirty Meat!
- What’s the Beef? Is the USDA Doing Enough to Control an Outbreak of Mad Cow Disease?
- Sourcing Healthy, Grass-Fed Meats
Also, check out all of our Eco Fun Recipe Videos!